Monday, August 27, 2007

Deep Fried Cap'n Crunch

I just got back from an awesome weekend in Newport with my wife. On Friday night we wandered around the wharf looking for a place to eat and we landed at Pier 49. After a couple of horribly watery margaritas I ordered the Captain's Shrimp which consists of baby salad shrimp rolled in - I'm not kidding - Cap'n Crunch cereal and deep fried. I am pretty sure there should be a Surgeon General's warning on this stuff.

On the other hand, the last thing I expected to get in Newport was good ribs. There is a small joint near Bannister's Wharf called the The Smokehouse Cafe. They have a smoker right by the street that you can smell from about 200 yards. I was able to wolf down a half rack the length of my arm the day we left and it was well worth the parking hassles.

Newport also has pretty houses and a nice view, but we all know what really matters is the food.

No comments: